Balkan Mathematical Olympiad
The Balkan Mathematical Olympiad (BMO) is a mathematical
competition for high-school students from the region of Balkan.
The first BMO was organized in Greece in 1984. That year four
countries competed: Bulgaria, Cyprus, Greece and Romania.
Since then, the competition has been held annually. Today
there are ten member coutries of BMO: Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina,
Bulgaria, Cyprus, Greece, FYR Macedonia, Moldova, Romania,
Serbia, Turkey. However, the hosting country may
invite guest teams to participate.
Each country sends up to six contestants, a team leader and a
deputy leader. Like the IMO, this is an individual competition.
On the competition students are given 4.5 hours to solve 4
problems. Each problem is worth 10 points, making 40 the maximum
Successful contestants are awarded first, second, and third prizes.
A honorable mention is awarded to each student who does not receive
a prize, but who has obtained 10 points on at least one question.
The total number of prizes should not exceed 2/3 of participants,
and the first, second, and third prizes are distributed
approximately in the ratio 1:2:3.
Past and Future BMOs
- 1-st BMO - Athens, Greece, 1984.
- 2-nd BMO - Sofia, Bulgaria, 1985.
- 3-rd BMO - Bucharest, Romania, 1986.
- 4-th BMO - Athens, Greece, 1987.
- 5-th BMO - Nicosia, Cyprus, 1988.
- 6-th BMO - Split, Yugoslavia, 1989.
- 7-th BMO - Sofia, Bulgaria, 1990.
- 8-th BMO - Constanța, Romania, 1991.
- 9-th BMO - Athens, Greece, 1992.
- 10-th BMO - Nicosia, Cyprus, 1993.
- 11-th BMO - Novi Sad, Yugoslavia (S & M), 1994.
- 12-th BMO - Plovdiv, Bulgaria, 1995.
- 13-th BMO - Bacău, Romania, 1996.
- 14-th BMO - Kalabaka, Greece, April 28-May 4, 1997.
- 15-th BMO - Nicosia, Cyprus, May 3-9, 1998.
- 16-th BMO - Ohrid, FYR Macedonia, May 6-12, 1999.
- 17-th BMO - Chișinău, Moldova, May 3-9, 2000.
- 18-th BMO - Belgrade, Yugoslavia (S & M), May 3-9, 2001.
- 19-th BMO - Antalya, Turkey, April 25-May 1, 2002.
- 20-th BMO - Tirana, Albania, May 2-8, 2003.
- 21-st BMO - Pleven, Bulgaria, May 5-11, 2004.
- 22-nd BMO - Iași, Romania, May 4-10, 2005.
- 23-rd BMO - Agros, Cyprus, April 27-May 3, 2006.
- 24-th BMO - Rhodes, Greece, April 26-May 2, 2007.
- 25-th BMO - Ohrid, FYR Macedonia, May 4-10, 2008.
- 26-th BMO - Kragujevac, Serbia, April 29-May 5, 2009.
- 27-th BMO - Chișinău, Moldova, May 2-7, 2010.
- 28-th BMO - Iasi, Romania, May 4-9, 2011.
- 29-th BMO - Antalya, Turkey, April 26-May 2, 2012.